Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chapter 4: Money is no Object

Dear Journal:

Bookstore job may pay crap, but I managed to save up enough get one of those...

Ah, what the hell do you call them? Chicken...thing. The thing chickens live in. I got one of those. Miraj wanted to try to help out with the finances, so I scraped together enough to get one of those things.

He got the idea pretty quick. Sell the good eggs, get rid of the nasty ones.



I honestly didn't think he'd get lucky.


I mean, these were freakin' chicken eggs. Most people use them to bake cakes or some shit.


Then one morning before school, he comes in with this shiny pink thing.

Miraj told me to look what he found. It obviously wasn't an ordinary egg.

The thing was pure...whatever it was made of. It was valuable, that much I knew.

It was worth enough to cover the costs of Iqbal's funeral, and some left over. With the remainder of the profits, hey, figured we'd splurge and buy something.


Miraj wanted to buy a toy oven. Why, I don't know. He never came off to me as the kind to try baking.

But I guess he wanted to give it a shot. So, hey, why not?

I didn't see him come out of the room for the rest of the day, haha.


Me? I got one of them sculptor deals.

Sounded easy enough. The hardest part about all of it, really, was getting the damn thing into the house. After that, it was smooth sailing.

It might've been the appeal of using a hammer to bang on something besides nails. Another guess is that it helped me let out any frustration I had about my lot in life.


Oh, and I got the fence fixed, too. For some reason, Iqbal never cared enough to do that when he was alive.

I guess something in this place needed to be complete. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it's something.

Still kinda sad, when that's the most complete thing in our lives right now.

(End of Chapter 4.)

No comments:

Post a Comment