Sunday, May 11, 2014

Chapter 12: The Future is Spooky

Dear Journal:

Spooky Day came and went.

I wasn't really in the mood for trick-or-treating. Never really have been since my voice cracked. I figured, I'm getting too old for free candy anyway.

Miraj decided to stay home, too. I told him, if he wanted to go out and do it, I wasn't gonna stop him.

But nah, he said he'd rather stay home, and give out candy to the other kids.


Even though it had to be boring as hell, he said he didn't mind. And this way he didn't have to figure out what to go as for a costume.

Yeah, costumes can be creepy if done right. But there's scarier stuff than plastic masks and fake blood all over the place.




"Hey, VJ," Miraj asked me one night. "When's your graduation?"

He was implying I was going to attend it. Of course, I probably was going to. He pointed out I was doing better in school, and now I might have an actual chance to get a diploma.

Then he wanted to know what I was going to do after that. I mean, I obviously couldn't work at the bookstore for the rest of my friggin' life.

Miraj then brought up whenever I sculpt things. He suggested that I could make a career out of it. It was a stretch, but he said it was worth a shot.


"I've seen some of the things you've made, bro," he went on. "People pay good money for what I've seen you create."

He had a point. To be honest, though, I've never really seen myself as the 'artsy' type. But I have been trying to keep my mind open, and tried other stuff.

I don't want any kind of job where I had to wear some itchy monkey suit, at least.

Do I really know what I want, though?

For whatever reason, I remember saving up my money to get this guitar from the Consignment Store. Wasn't any fancy model or anything, I just thought it looked cool.


I finally got it, and then I realized I didn't know jack about playing guitar. So I ended up taking a class, and then figuring out the rest by myself.

It sounded like ass at first, obviously. Then I got the hang of it. Even started to think up some weird melodramatic song to go with it.

Still didn't think it was what one would call 'a masterpiece'. No matter how much I worked on it, I just couldn't be satisfied with it.



Then Miraj got home. He must've been at Darlene's place, trying to iron things out with her. I was about to put that hunk of wood down for the night, when he stopped me.

"Don't stop, bro," he told me. "I want to know how it ends."

So I enlightened him, and thought up some ending to what I figured was some half-assed country ripoff.

But I get the feeling that he wasn't talking about the song. Nah, he was definitely talking about something else.

(End of Chapter 12.)

No comments:

Post a Comment