Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chapter 13: Growing Pains

Dear Journal:

What is it with me and forgetting birthdays? Like, that seems to be a recurring thing with me.


Well, Miraj didn't outright say it was a birthday. But I saw the cake, and drew my own conclusions.

Here, I thought, it can't be his birthday again already. It only seems like yesterday we had the last one. I told him, isn't it a little early for you to celebrate your birthday again?



"But bro," he clarified, "this cake isn't for me. It's for you!"



...All right, so I forgot my own birthday. So what? I've had a lot to do, lately.

I'm still glad Miraj remembered, at least. I'm not even going to ask where he got the money to but one of these things by himself.

Eh, maybe he's got a secret stash of money I don't know about. I ain't gonna interrogate him.

I just made my wish, and blew out the candles. But what got me was how Miraj was taking the whole thing.


He seemed glad that he was able to help me celebrate my birthday. And well, he did help me remember I even had one today.

If I weren't feeling the effects of birthday aging, I'd have hugged him right then and there.

And seeing his face when all was said and done...What, is seeing Big Bro VJ as an adult THAT amazing to behold?


So I asked him, "got any suggestions for a new wardrobe?"

No mohawks, though. I'm done with those. Mostly, I wanted something that didn't restrict.

But seeing myself in the mirror when I cut my hair, it really was unbelievable. Long, long ago, I never thought I'd get through the beginning of my teen years, and yet...here I am, a young adult.

I'll admit, seeing the new me took me by surprise. I looked myself over a few more times. Mostly to know for sure if it were really me.

Yeah, it was me, all right. Different hair, different outfit, but it's still me. And you know what, Journal?

...I love it.


(End of Chapter 13.)

No comments:

Post a Comment