Sunday, June 1, 2014

Chapter 15: A Bunch of Change

Dear Journal:

I visited Lisa today. I can't believe she's already grown up.

Well, I can, since she and I were in the same graduating class, but still. I remember when we used to wrestle outside during recess when we were kids.


But these days, elementary school just feels like a really fucked up fever dream to me now. I guess Lisa sort of felt the same way.

Then she brought something else up. She told me by saying, "Oh hey, VJ! Guess what?"



As it turns out, Lisa's getting married. In a few weeks time, she said, she was going to become Mrs. Parker Langerak.

First, I congratulated her. Then I asked her, "how'd you get Parker to settle down with you?"




"I have my ways, VJ," was all she said, "I have my ways."

Then we bullshitted for a while, before I gave her what I figured was a decent wedding gift. Yeah, I know, way too early. But I didn't think I'd attend their wedding, so better to be safe than sorry.


Then right before I left, she told me, "You're the best friend I could ever ask for, VJ."

I think I said, "Yeah, I know." Then I let her know this; "If Parker ever hurts you in any way, just call me, and I'll kick his ass for you."

She said she'd keep it in mind. After I went home, I figured that was enough Bunch girl for a while.

Then Darlene showed up.


She explained to me why she had been in such a piss-poor mood for a while. As it turns out, Lisa' upcoming wedding preparations were making her feel unappreciated.

Darlene hadn't meant to push Miraj away the way she did. She just didn't think he'd understand the strain of such an important event for her family.

Honestly, I couldn't tell if she were making up excuses to explain her bad mood or not. I just told her outright how I felt:


"I'm not the one you should be telling that to."

So I got Miraj to come out of his room...shack...whatever the fuck you'd call it. He was actually surprised that she visited him, and not the other way around.

She told him everything she told me, mostly word for word. When he heard it all, he said he understood now.

Then he asked if the two of them could start things anew. She said she was definitely ready to do so.


Then Miraj asked me if we had any money to take her to the movies. He had but to ask.

Hey, it got him occupied for a few hours. And besides...

I had a hatchet of my own that was in serious need of burying.


(End of Chapter 15.)

No comments:

Post a Comment