Sunday, June 15, 2014

Epilogue

Dear Journal:

This'll likely be the last time I write something in here.

I'll probably be too busy working on new potential works of art to bother writing new journal entries. But it's a small price to pay.

Besides, I needed the money to cover the costs of a house Miraj and Darlene had their eyes on.


Nice little place across the street. Nothing fancy, just one of those cozy places you'd see on one of them cable shows.

Better than this crapshack, at least.


I did have to sell a lot of stuff to actually have enough for them to get it. But they said it was worth it.

Then came moving day. I could kinda tell Miraj wasn't quite ready to go.


I reassured him. It wasn't like he was moving all the way across town. Just across the street. He and Darlene could come and bother me whenever they wanted.

He said he was aware of that. But it was still weird to be moving out of a house he'd lived in his whole life.

"You know, it's funny," he went on. "When this day came, I kind of thought Dad would be here. But obviously, he's not."

He said not only that, but now he couldn't even remember his father's face. When he tried to recall it, all he could think of was me.

I was his older brother. But in recent years, I'd become his father too, or so he said.

So it was only fitting that I was the one to see him move out and live on his own, he figured. I honestly didn't know what to say to that.

But I guess I didn't have to say anything.


And with that, he and Darlene got the rest of their stuff all ready to go, and got it all into their house.

I just watched from next to the mailbox. Who cares if it was only a few yards away? It was still one of the most important events in my little bro's life.


I could tell they were happy. And I was happy for them, too.

But to know that Miraj didn't need big brother VJ to look after him anymore...

Well, that part really stung. He was a grown man now, he had a wife, and his own house...I didn't really have a part in his new life anymore.

Maybe that's how a parent feels.


But it's one of the facts of life. And I know he can take care of himself and Darlene. Yeah, it's lonely here without him, so I have to remind myself:

"Don't worry. You did just fine."

And besides, it's not like I'll ever see him again. If either of them need anything, all they gotta do is call.

Actually, the other day, that's exactly what happened. Darlene called me up, and asked how I was doing. She said she needed my help with something.

Miraj couldn't do it, apparently. He was at work at the time, and she wanted what she was planning to be a surprise for him.

The details she gave me were: she had a list of things, mostly specialized items that could be made by hand. If I were willing to do other artsy things besides sculpting, then I was the right man for the job.

It was no problem for me. So I told her I'll see her in a few minutes. But what she said while hanging up was what got me:

"See you then...Uncle VJ."



...My little brother's gonna be a dad. How about that.

Next time I see him, I'm gonna congratulate him, whether or not he's already found out. And "Uncle VJ"...

You know, I really like the sound of that.

Is it too early to offer babysitting services to them?

(Last entry of VJ's journal, and the ending of Alvi, Always There. And to anyone who celebrates it in the U.S., Happy Father's Day.)

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try to comment to say how happy I am for all of them. VJ did an amazing job raising his brother up and I congratulate you on finishing yet another excellent story!

    ReplyDelete