Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chapter 17: Birthdays for Two

(Note: Today there are two entries, on account of the holiday.)

Dear Journal:

Did I honestly expect Miraj's birthday to come up again so early?

No, not really. But sure enough, it was here again. I got him his cake, he thought of what he wanted to wish for.


Didn't take him too long to figure out what he wanted. He was already blowing out the candles, and the whole age mess started up again.


Why is it each time he gets older, I barely recognize him?

Oh, right...That's what age is supposed to do to you.

This time was a little different, though. After he changed his outfits, he whipped out his phone.

Then he called Darlene and asked her if she could come over.

It turns out, he wanted her to celebrate her birthday as well. I got the idea, so I went out and got her a cake, too. It was only fair.

Hey, my bro wanted her to be happy, too, I guess.


Not every day we get someone not blood-related to us, doing this sort of thing in our house. But then, special occasion and shit like that.

Then she got all dolled up, too. No, I didn't peek at my brother's girlfriend changing!Believe it or not, I'm not some skeevy pervert!

But anyway, after he was finished, Miraj asked me a really weird question:

"When Mom left, did she leave behind anything...important?"


I had a feeling I knew what he was getting at. So I told him where it was: Bottom drawer, hiding in a pile of loose socks.

Then he took Darlene out somewhere private for a while. When they came back, Darlene was just crying her eyes out and giggling.

Miraj apologized for being gone so long. He said he wanted to make it official as soon as he could.

Then he showed me a few pictures he managed to get of the papers they signed.

...So. My little bro's become a married man. It seems like only yesterday he was selling baked goods at the park. Now he's all grown up and got himself a pretty wife.

I know I'm happy for him. I really am.

...So why am I hurting inside?

(End of Chapter 17.)

No comments:

Post a Comment