Sunday, April 6, 2014

Chapter 7: In Separate Bunkers

Dear Journal:

Apparently, Miraj was desperate for his own room.

He never said anything until his birthday, but then again, maybe he was still thinking about what he wanted.

The other night, he came up to me, asking me if we got enough materials to put up a few walls.


I asked him, "What for?" We had plenty of walls and junk already.

"Well, you know that unfinished shed Dad had outside? Thought I'd do something with that." When Miraj said shed, I had to remember: 'Iqbal had a shed'?




He pointed it out to me, so now I knew what the hell he was talking about. It was that thing Iqbal had outside that he sometimes passed out under.

Why Miraj wanted to make a room out of it, I have no idea. It'd be a tight fit, at least. 

But it was what he wanted. We got materials, some paint, and did the thing. I mean, hey, it was one wall. It didn't take that long. Not like we were building an entire house from scratch.

The carpeting was a bitch, but I doubt Miraj really wanted to have asphalt for a floor.

When all was said and done, I ended up digging through some other boxes, and found some clunky old computer. 

It was an obsolete model, essentially a hunk of junk. But it still worked fine. So I set it up in Miraj's room and told him, "Hey, I found your birthday present." 

Miraj couldn't be happier when everything was finished. He even said I was the best bro ever. 

I couldn't tell whether he was saying that for the room, or for the computer. 

But knowing him, it might've been for both. 

(End of Chapter 7.)

No comments:

Post a Comment